This week I had more than a dozen superb Comm 57 blogs to sift through in choosing the top 5.
Selecting the best ones was so difficult that I had to take a whole different tack. This week you’ll meet the underdogs, the second-year marketing program bloggers who have, for one reason or another, not yet made the top 5 St. Lawrence College Comm 57 bloggers’ list.
With only two weeks left to this blogging assignment, I introduce you to the new blogstars of Week Five:
1. Connor Holway demonstrates his subtle humour in his post I finally got somewhere with a pretty girl. That “girl” is his aspiration for a placement after his first placement effort didn’t work out. We all hope Connor gets the placement and we look forward to learning about the industry and its issues.
2. Ron Johnston, a marketing student with a culinary background, dreams of one day opening his own family restaurant. He recognizes that achieving that dream won’t be easy. In his Week 5 post, he describes the overwhelming challenges to restaurateurs in downtown Kingston. It’s a compelling read.
3. Mitch Pfenning is a semi-pro (?) golfer. He’s secured his placement with Titleist, one of the world’s most recognized golf ball makers. He’s stoked about the opportunity and he writes about his excitement to learn about its marketing strategies.
4. Zachary Harvey is an ardent fitness enthusiast who hopes to work as a marketer in the industry. This week, he writes with clarity and detail as he describes the fitness centre that sparked his passion for the fitness industry.
5. International student Ming Xue this week writes about how he hopes to contribute during his coming placement at the St. Lawrence College international office. Fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese, the two main languages of China, Ming plans to put these languages to work for his college. He hopes to help the college recruit Chinese-speaking students by increasing its presence on Chinese social media websites. I’ve heard of China’s version of Facebook called Weibo. But RenRen and QQ? Go, Ming, go!
And, of course, because I can’t resist showcasing some of our other regular blogstars, this week check out five more repeatedly superb bloggers:
- Cynthia Posadowski writes about how to choose the right golf club for you
- Ashley Letourneau writes that combat gear makers need to sell more equipment for the growing women’s fighter market
- Areum Jeon provides advice for students on how to prevent becoming broke (Areum hopes to target students while on her RBC placement)
- Tyler Labelle describes meeting his placement mentor from Molson Coors
- Kuei-Lin Lin writes about her excitement to start working at the St. Lawrence College international office with classmate Ming Xue. The two plan to create an “SLC Style” (think Gangnam Style) video to promote the college
That’s a big list, but they’re all a decent read. I hope you check out at least some of them. Leave a comment. “Like” them. Follow them. Your contribution will definitely be appreciated.